Training and Professional Development
Lucia Smith from Pelican Talk runs training in a variety of topics. She also runs training previously run by Love and Reilly.
Participants in Lucia's sessions receive easy-to-follow information that can be easily put into practice. Most sessions come with loads of free resources.
An underlying theme in Lucia's training is to have participants experience what it is like to have a speech, language or literacy difficulty. Only in truly understanding our children, can we know what will assist them in their learning.
FINAL WORKSHOP FOR 2018
MELBOURNE December 14th 2018
DEVELOPING VOCABULARY AND SENTENCE BUILDING WITH ALIEN TALK
SCROLL DOWN FOR DETAILS!
" Developing Vocabulary and Sentence Building
Using ALIEN TALK"
WHEN: DECEMBER 14th 2018, 9.30am – 3.30 pm
WHERE: University of Melbourne (Hawthorn Campus) 442 Auburn Rd. Hawthorn, Victoria.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Teachers, speech pathologists, inclusion support assistants
COSTS: EARLY BIRD: $220 Register and pay by OCT 27th 2018
REGULAR: $250 Register by DEC 9th 2018
PRESENTER: Lucia Smith Speech Pathologist and author of ALIEN TALK
EACH PARTICIPANT RECEIVES THE FOLLOWING:
The Alien Talk resource (RRP $95)
* If you already have the ALIEN TALK resource, email and organise to receive another resource in its place.
A downloadable certificate
*This workshop can be used for 5 hours of Teacher Accreditation /PD hours (APST) and 5 points under Code W/S for speech pathologists partaking in Professional Self-Regulation.
ABOUT THE TRAINING:
ALIEN TALK is fun and versatile program used in many schools around Australia. It can be used in its entirety or its plentiful resources can be used to complement other vocabulary and sentence-building programs.
Alien Talk is loved by many speech pathologists who run Alien Talk in individual sessions and groups.
Alien Talk explicitly targets each element of a simple sentence – the subject, verb, object, adjectives, adverb, adverbs of place and adverbs of time. It then brings them all together to make rich, grammatically correct and meaningful sentences. It includes components of vocabulary enrichment, grammar exploration (past, present and future tense) and spelling (the learning of suffixes that relate to each sentence part).
Alien Talk is used as an oral program in Foundation but in later years, the program incorporates reading and writing tasks.
LUNCH AND MORNING TEA IS PROVIDED.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
1) recognise each alien’s function and demonstrate the cues for each
2) introduce and study each alien using motivating tasks appropriate for each student’s level of functioning
3) recognise the possible levels of breakdown in sentence formation and overcome these
4) plan Alien Talk lessons/sessions and decide when to progress to the next stage of the program
5) incorporate the use of Alien Talk cues into other oral language , reading and writing tasks that arise throughout the day
6) utilise best practice teaching methods for vocabulary growth
TRAINING REQUEST FORM
If you would like more details about hosting a training session specific to your needs, please fill out the form below.